Friday, September 19, 2008

Dreams don't apply here



Born black and you tell me I should be proud.
Give me a reason.
Because, I have many
That will help you understand
"WHY?"
I am without a smile.

Who is Martin Luther King Jr.?
I heard about a dream he had
Was he sleeping?
Because I'm awake living the nightmare.
In DC, politicians named an Ave in his honor
So tell me, with his talk of peace
Why is that Ave climbing in homicidal rates?
With all he stood for
I would have figured it pleasant, if not great.
However, this is the real world. Wake up!

Dreams do not apply here.
Born and then you die here, does not seem quite fair.

I told my teacher, I'm sick of school.
She laughed, told me when I reach 40
No education.
What is a black man going to do?

Smoke crack?
I should have figured that.

Three fifteen School is OUT!
Staring at this junkie…
While my friends laugh.
I am picturing, this could be me if I am not wise with money?

On my way from school
"Am I black enough for you?" by Schoolly D;
Bounces through the speakers of a black truck with black rims and black tires driven by
A black man…

Got damn! Do not understand.
I have to work harder, think smarter
Just to put money in my empty hands
I want kids but I am not ready.
First, I got to find a place to live
A good job and make sure it's steady; can barely feed myself.
How can I produce babies?
Picture me saying to my kids
"I know you're crying because you're hungry. But check it, daddy doesn't have any money".

Went to the state, since no one else cares
Was offered a crack welfare
And a trampy borderline health care.
Like I said, this is the real world. Wake up!
Dreams do not apply here.
Born and then you die here; does not seem quite fair.

Everyone that is in your business
Are not in your business for the right business
So mind your business, before they plot to take over it.

How is Billy living’?
Surely, not like ME!
I rock tattoos to an interview
Now, all of a sudden
The position does not apply to ME!

I am blown now.
Wish I were home now.
I guess you start to smell the flowers
Once you move out your mom's house
Begin to live on your own now.

How can I be responsible for what another man does?
Let me clear that up.
How can I be responsible for what another black man does?
Do not get me lying. I don't know.
Nevertheless, this woman is clutching her purse
I guess I resemble the previous black man
That jacked her for what she is worth.

No comments: